Pregnancy is an extraordinary time in any woman’s life. It is likely you ‘ve become curious about your baby’s development and learned that each week, every day brings new growth. Unfortunately, pregnancy also comes with its fair share of struggle and stress, including aches & pains associated by the changes happening in your body and the shift in your hormonal & emotional being. Pain at any level can steal the joy of pregnancy. That’s why I am committed to ensuring every pregnant woman has the opportunity to get the care they deserve; so that you can enjoy your pregnancy to the fullest.
Chiropractic care during pregnancy can help you have nine fulfilling and pain-free months without relying on medication and/or other invasive symptom relief options. As a mom-to-be, chiropractic care can give you the power to take care of yourself and make your experience as enjoyable as possible without compromising your baby’s health.
During pregnancy, your body will change significantly to accommodate your baby. As a result, you may experience:
- Low Back Pain & Sciatica – from the additional weight & pressure; hello baby bump!
- Round Ligament Pain – result of your belly rapidly stretching & increasing in size
- Pubic Bone Pain – maybe accompanied by excessive waddling & a clicking sound when walking
- Hip Pain – extra pressure from your pelvis shifting & sleeping on your sides
- Upper Back Pain – brought on by changes in your gait & posture
- Rib & Sternum Pain – due to expansion making room for your baby
- Vagina Pain (Lightning Crotch) – extra pressure on your uterus or cervix
- Headaches – tension from your ever-changing body
- Carpal Tunnel – inflammation, swelling and fluid retention
- Morning Sickness – hello hormonal changes!
- Difficulty Sleeping – finding a comfortable resting position can become difficult
- Constipation – progesterone & your growing uterus can make it hard to move things along
- Exhaustion – growing another human is no joke!
While pain during pregnancy is a quite common complaint today, it is important to recognize that just because it is common, does not mean it is normal! Pain is the body’s way of telling us something is wrong. Low back, hip and pelvic pain tells us that there are likely imbalances present in the muscles, ligaments &/or joints of the pelvis. A balanced pelvis not only reduces pain in your pregnant body, but more importantly, prepares your body for an easier birth experience.
Prenatal chiropractic adjustments are one of the best things you can do for yourself and your baby during pregnancy. A balanced spine and pelvis will enhance your comfort, as well as create conditions that favor a positive birth experience. Pregnant woman under specialized prenatal chiropractic care frequently report shorter, easier births with limited interventions.
I am highly trained and certified in the Webster Technique & Spinning Babies Protocols which specifically address the imbalances in the pregnant body’s sacrum, pelvis, muscles & ligaments. I use both these approaches as a safe and effective way to restore proper pelvic balance and function during pregnancy.
Benefits of Prenatal Chiropractic Care
- Maintain a Healthier Pregnancy
- Reduce Time in Labor & Delivery
- Relieve Low Back, Hip & Pubic Bone Pain
- Relieve Neck, Back & Joint Pain
- Relieve Headaches
- Prevent Fetal Malposition Through Body Balancing
- Improved Sleep
- Reduces Likelihood of Interventions During Labor & Delivery
As a pregnant woman, you are more susceptible to sacral and pelvic imbalances because of increased hormones (relaxin, estrogen), weight gain & the associated changes in posture.
The Webster Technique is a specific chiropractic analysis and adjustment that gently corrects pelvis and sacral imbalances. The aim of the Webster Technique is to decrease the effects of imbalances in the sacrum and pelvis through a specific chiropractic analysis and adjustment, in order to improve neuro-biomechanical functioning to the sacral/pelvic region. Restoring this nuero-biomechanical function may improve the baby’s positioning and birth outcome, prevent dystocia (difficult labor) & relieve general aches and pains associated with pregnancy.
Whether you are in your first trimester or a few weeks away from welcoming your new baby into the world, I believe that every pregnant woman should receive adequate pregnancy care as it allows you to fully be mentally and physically present during your pregnancy journey. You should never have to lie awake at night because of low back and hip pain. Pain during pregnancy not only hinders your enjoyment of this process – it’s also exhausting, and you don’t want to be worn out and depleted when it’s finally time to bring your little one into the world.
A subtle imbalance in the pelvis and associated structures can prevent the baby from having the space to get into an optimal position for birth, which is known as intrauterine constraint.